Monday, November 7, 2011

Week 7: James 3:13-18~Wisdom!

I apologize that the notes from week 7 are delayed!!!! Nonetheless, here they are. :)

Read James 3:13-18.

Wisdom is mentioned three times in this chapter and we are told that there are two kinds of wisdom.

1. Earthly wisdom
2. Heavenly wisdom

Dictionary definition of wisdom:
1. The ability to discern or judge what is true, right or lasting; insight.
2. Common sense; good judgement.
3. a. The sum of learning through the ages; knowledge.
    b. wise teachings of the ancient sages.
4. A wise outlook, plan or course of action.

James' definition of wisdom is in verse 17:
But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy.

As I studied this in preparation for today, I had to look back over my life and examine the times I've exercised earthly wisdom and the times I've exercised heavenly wisdom. I am going to be transparent and share both with you.

Earthly wisdom- I am a mother and I admit that my motherly instinct is STRONG. My best friend has always told me that when it comes to my children, if something goes wrong, I go for the jugular. This is something I've really had to give to the Lord. One example of my earthly wisdom is when my oldest 3 were growing up and my best friend's child something to one of my children that just didn't go over very well. Frankly, it made me angry. Upon finding out, I immediately picked up the phone and told my best friend what happened. Ten minutes later,she and her oldest were at our door to apologize and work through the problem. Unfortunately, this encounter still resulted in a period of awkwardness on both of our parts for a bit of time afterwards. To this day, I acknowledge that the "the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God" (James 1:20) and I should've prayed and waited before tackling this specific situation.

Heavenly wisdom-  Since the death of my son and over the past 5 1/2 years, I've been weakend and grievous on my face before the Lord. At one point, the Lord strongly impressed upon my heart through his word that I am to enjoy my children and my grandchildren and He will take care of me. He's also shown me a lot about the beginning of heavenly wisdom. Consider this scripture:

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom;
A good understanding have all those who do His commandments...
Psalm 111:10

The beginning of wisdom is spending time in the Word (His commandments) so we can understand HIS wisdom.

Back to James' definition in verse 17:
There is a beautiful picture of the word "pure" which means "sincere." When they would make pottery in biblical times, they would put wax over any crack in a piece of pottery. When something was sincere, it had no cracks...therefore, no wax. What a picture of how our lives can be when we live according to heavenly widsom...sincere and without cracks!

On the contrary, earthly wisdom results in division, death and separation.

Remember: Yes, some people have been given more natural abilities in exercizing wisom but if we ask the Lord for His wisdom, anyone can benefit and receive it! Heavenly wisdom does not intentionally do what God has clearly said not to do.

Example: Read Genesis 3:6. Eve was told not to eat from the tree of understanding. She and Adam did not need that tree. They just needed God. BUT she took matters into her own hands and did what God had clearly told her not to do.

Yet you desired faithfulness even in the womb;
you taught me wisdom in that secret place.
Psalm 51:6

He was putting His wisdom in us even before we were born! This was His design vs. our earthly wisdom of deciding to follow our own desires. When you've realized you've operated in earthly widom, ask Him for forgiveness and remember He's already put His wisdom in you!

Proverbs 2 tells us a lot about His wisdom. See verses 1, 2, 6, 10, 12 and 16.

Remember: To have wisdom, we must ABIDE in Jesus! That is the beginning.
The word "abide" means to "stay with."

Question: Is there anything standing in the way of you having a FULL relationship withthe Lord?

Pray: Open the eyes of my heart so that I may see the deep things of God.

Attributes: We made a list of the the attributes of heavenly wisdom according to the scriptures we read. Pray that the Lord would grow these attributes in you:
  • Peace loving
  • Considerate
  • Submissive
  • Good fruit
  • Impartial
  • Sincere
  • Peaceful
  • Full of mercy
I'm praying for each of you!

Love,
Glenda

No comments: