Thursday, September 29, 2011

Week 3: James 1:18-27

Hi, Ladies!

We are excited you've  joined us for another week! Today, we are going to talk about how God's Word is personal to us. But, first let's RECAP:

Week 1: Our life is promised to be polka dotted with trials, but in the end, there will be one big beautiful, complete picture made out of all different sizes and polka dots.
Week 2: Do not let your trial lead you into sin!
Week 3: YOU are HIS chosen instrument. Instead of committing sin, be busy getting rid of sin in your life which leads to the notes from today...

Today, we talked about the picture of three different types of people.
1. First, there is the person that knows God's word but never acts on what he knows in his head.
2. Then, there is the person that looks at his disheveled face in the mirror, walks away and does nothing about it. It is easy to concentrate only on yourself and not do anything about what you see.
3. Lastly, there is the man that thinks he is religious. This person goes through the motions and is more concerned about his actions than his heart.
For each one of these types of people, James points them back to the Word. We do not want to be like any of these people and HIS word needs to be the first thing we run to, hear and put into action.

Since today's topic was His Word, I shared the scriptures that have been important to me at personal, pivotal moments through my life up until now.

College
At this point in my life, confidence was a HUGE issue for me. When I read this verse, it changed my life to realize that my confidence does not come from anything about myself but it comes from God alone. HE is my confidence. What freedom!

Not that we are adequate in ourselves to consider anything as coming from ourselves, but our adequacy is from God.  2 Corinthians 3:5

Young Mom
I remember being broke and living in an apartment in Witchita, KS. We had a four year old and an infant, My husband worked all the time and was never home but always wanted everything very neat and tidy. I vividly remember vacuuming the floor (while resenting my clean and organized husband who wasn't there) and this verse spoke to me.

Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men.
Colossians 3:23

When I came to the realization that I was vacuuming my floor and taking care of our home for THE LORD and not Preston (man), my resentment was removed and I actually started having a good attitude. This was life changing for me.

Mid-adult (30s/40s)
I think every mom reaches the point where they feel like their only identity is being a mom. I was definitely struggling with this very thing at this point in my life when the Lord showed me, through this verse, that He has given me gifts (other than just being a mom) and He chose me to use those gifts for Him.

For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit... I Corinthians 12:8

Grieving mom
The morning after my 25 year old son died, I sat in the glider in my bedroom and opened my Bible. This was the verse that immediately popped off the page at me.

When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they will not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, Nor will the flame burn you.
For I am the Lord your God, The Holy One of Israel, your Savior...Since you are precious in My sight, Since you are honored and I love you... Isaiah 43:1-8

I sure wish I could post the video we shared in class of our friend, Stacey, that is living in China sharing the polkadots from her life and what the Word means to her. Unfortunately, it's sensitive material. It sure was great to pipe her in all the way from China, though. Let me know if you are interested in a copy and we can get it to you.

What are scriptures that He has spoken to you in different phases of your own life?
Remember: the most important resource we have as we walk through trials is His Word!

You can print out your homework to prepare for next week's study here. Also, remember to add a polkadot (trial) via posting a comment here so we can be praying for you!

No comments: